I have a bit of a crush on suspenders…
- The first suspenders can be traced to 18th century France, where they were basically strips of ribbon attached to the buttonholes of trousers.
- Benjamin Franklin is said to have worn them — although it’s probably best not to ask how historians know that; back then, suspenders were considered an undergarment never to be seen in public.
- In fact, visible suspenders were considered risqué as recently as 1938, when a town in Long Island, NY tried to ban gentlemen from wearing them without a coat, calling it “sartorial indecency.” The ban was later overturned after residents complained.
- One of pop culture’s most famous hooligans, Alex DeLarge (Malcolm MacDowell), wore them in A Clockwork Orange.
- A 1986 People magazine article recommended that “fashion-forward teens” let their suspenders hang from their waist, arguing that drooping suspenders were “very sensual.”
- Suspenders were largely absent from people’s closets in the 1990s and early 2000s — that is, until hip-hop style icon Fonzworth Bentley popularized the preppy dandy look. Recent years have seen a fascination with early 20th century culture (think: speakeasy-themed bars, moustaches, fedoras) amongst a certain subset of people — usually young, usually in major cities — who like to dress the part. (Source: Time Magazine)
So forgive me if it appears that Matt’s suspenders have taken the show. They are cool, yes this is true, but really we still have to give focus to this dandy couple as they prepare to wed in early October.
Contact us now to talk about your plans – 54466702 – or enquire with our nifty, easy-to-use form by clicking here.
Post by Amanda Rowe – Awesome Couple’s Photography